- Toddler’s teeth help him to chew and bite into his food. Therefore they have to be taken care of like regular teeth
- Primary teeth help your child to speak clearly.
- The primary teeth help the permanent teeth to take their place because underneath the milk teeth are where the roots of the permanent teeth are positioned to grow into their respective places.
Once your child’s first tooth comes out, it is necessary to brush teeth twice a day especially before bedtime. It is also the time for his/her first dental check-up. Follow your dentist’s suggestion on a suitable toothpaste and toothbrush for your toddler.
And, it is a good idea to change the toothbrush once every 2-3 months as the bristles tend to wear out.
- Avoid bottle and sippy cup before bedtime:
A sippy cup may often be very helpful in making the change from bottle to a glass. But allowing your child to sip juice and drink other liquids all day long from the sippy cup may not be a good idea.
Also, drinking from a sippy cup is not good for proper teeth development of your toddler. Sucking from the rigid plastic of the sippy cup can cause teeth deformities and irregular development of the oral structure.
- Avoid the pacifier:
- Encourage good eating habits:
Encourage your child to eat veggies raw carrots, green beans, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes etc.
Fruits like oranges and other citruses, kiwis, strawberries and papaya ensure healthy teeth by killing bacteria
Yogurt, nuts and seeds of sunflower and pumpkin can be introduced as interesting snack options.
- Cut down on sugars and junk food:
- Introduce your toddler to the habit of drinking water after every meal:
- Watch out for the sugary medicine syrups: